Friday, June 1, 2012

EE2 Final


Xuehui Deng
Writing 1133
EE2

People Should Eating Diversity Food
I’m from China. Nowadays, people in China have plenty types of food to eat, but if go back sixty years, food were very limited for people. So people are really caring about nutrition and health of food now. Because of eating in diversity, I have become a stronger and taller guy than my father, even taller than my grandfather. Eating in diversity helps me growing fast and healthy. Moreover, I think eating food is one of the most important ways for people to keep health.  
I have no limit on eating food. I like eating meat, but I also prefer to eat vegetables and fruits fro dinner because I think eating diversity can help me get more nutrition. I’m a basketball fun and I love playing basketball, so I think getting many types of nutrition will make me growing taller and stronger. However, not all of people eating like me, eating diversity, some people just like to eat vegetables and they just eat vegetables. We called these kinds of people as vegetarian. I’d like to say that eating vegetables is a healthier way for people than eating meat. I’m an international from China. In China, people don’t eat meat very often. However, when I came to the United States, I found American food is not as healthy as Chinese food. People always eat hamburgers, sandwich, and pizza for dinner. All of the foods are full of Calorie and fat, and these foods are not good for people’s health if people keep eating these types of food usually.
In order to get to know more about the benefit of being a vegetarian, I made a search from website. I searched Penrose website and I found an interesting article named “Nutrition Concerns and Health Effects of Vegetarian Diets” which was published by Nutrition in Clinical Practice. From this article I know that vegetables are full of nutrition and contain some important elements which are good for people’s health. For example, vegetables have low calorie and low fat, and that can help people keep fit. For girls, it is very important for them to keep fit because having a nice body shape represents beauty. So girls prefer to eat vegetables rather than eating meat. Eating diversity include eating vegetables. I suggest people eat vegetables for every dinner.
However, from reading the “Nutrition Concerns and Health Effects of Vegetarian Diets” I also know people who just eat vegetables may lack of iron, vitamin and other nutrition which are important for people. From looking at the data in the article, I found non-vegetarian can get more Calcium, Zinc, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 than vegetarian because people also need these elements to build their body. So vegetarian also need to change their eating diets to get more Calcium, Zinc such good elements which means vegetarian should change their eating habit, not only for their preference, but also for their health.
Also, eating diversity means eat many colors of food. I read an article named “Diversity Your Diet” published by Realage.com. In one part of this article, the author talks that eating many colors of food is good for people’s health. For example, in the article, the author says that “Red foods contain lycopene and anthocyanins, phytochemicals that help lower the risk of some cancers and promote.” (Para 3) Such as tomatoes, pepper, these kinds of red foods will also help people decrease the risk of getting heart disease, and good for people’s memory function. In addition, blue-purple colored food is good for people’s memory function and yellow-orange colored food is good for people’s vision health. I know some food looked colorful, but tasted awful. However, these kinds of food are full of nutrition, but the bad taste makes people don’t want to eat them anymore. Actually, I think sometimes, people should focus on the nutrition of food, not the taste of food because people are able to build a strong body by eating bad-taste and colorful food which is full of nutrition. Each color food has different type of nutrition, and people can live with a healthy body by absorbing many types of nutrition. So I suggest people try different color food.
In addition, from reading the article “Anti-cancer Diet Diversity”, I know that fruit and vegetables have powerful anti-cancer activity which would help people decrease the risk of getting cancer. Also, from the article, I know that drinking tea is another way to protect cancer. “Green tea contains large numbers of catechins, compounds that have many anti-cancer properties.” (Gifford-Jones Para 10) Tea is one of the most popular drinks in the world. Asian people first try to drink tea and tea has spread to all over the world quickly.
For me, I have custom to drink tea after dinner, so do my parents because we think tea can protect people’s stomach and help people digest food well. I think drinking beverage is also belonging to “eating diversity” for two reasons. First, people are always drinking while eating. No matter drinking soup, or drinking soda, people usually combine drinking and eating together. Secondly, the definition of eating means using mouth. Beverage is just another type of food for they are liquid. I think eating diversity also means drinking many types of beverage. From drinking juice, people can get vitamin. From drinking soda, such as Coca and Sprite, people are able to get rid of their thirsty. From drinking tea, people can absorb nutrition from tea. Beverage plays an important role for people to keep nutrition balance.
In another way, eating less meat will also help people keep healthy. As I mentioned above, I found American people eat too much meat for meal. As I observed, there are three things in American people’s daily menu, which are hamburgers, sausage and cheese. For hamburgers and sausage, parts of them are made by meat, either beef or pork. I still remembered I watched a movie in writing class named “Food Inc.” which is about how people feed and kill animals. Some animals are born for people to eat. In this movie, people killed animals merciless, and people in the movie don’t treat animals as creature, but treated animals as tool. Why people do that? Because there has a huge demand for meat in market, and people are able to earn much money for feeding animals and selling meat. If people eat less meat and turn to eat more vegetables and fruit, that will decrease the demand meat, and then, it will decrease the supply of meat in market. I am not suggesting people stop eating meat, but eating less. Meat also has some nutrition that other foods don’t have. For example, meat contains a huge amount of Calcium that is good for children and old people because Calcium can build people strong bone. I am a meat lover, I like eating meat more than eating vegetables and fruit, but after watching the movie “Food Inc.”, I would like to eat less meat and eat more vegetables, not only for personal healthy preference, but also for saving more animals’ life.
Moreover, I read an article named “Eat More Chocolate, Lose Weight”. From the title reading the title, we know that people can lose weight from eating more chocolate. Some people think eating chocolate will make people getting fat, but actually, eating more chocolate can help people lose weight. I know girls afraid eating chocolate because they are afraid of getting fat. If they know eating chocolate can help them lose weight, I think girls will eat chocolate every day because chocolate is also delicious food. In addition, I do think chocolate belongs to another types of “eating diversity” because it neither belongs to meat category nor the vegetables, fruit category. Chocolate can be a type of leisure food for people which means people can eat chocolate in their leisure time. White-collar people can eat chocolate in their break time. Students can eat chocolate at the rest of their study. We are able to find chocolate at any place at any time. Chocolate cannot be a real meal for people, but it is still important for people because people can lose weight from eating it. In addition, I learnt from reading the article “Anti-cancer Diet Diverse” which says that “There's good news for chocolate lovers. Dark chocolate contains 70 percent cocoa and provides the body with polyphenols that fight cancer.” Not only people can lose weight by eating chocolate, but they are also able to fight with cancer by eating chocolate.                   
To sum up, eating food diversity can help people live in a better life. Each food has it own elements which are good for human beings. Tea can help people decrease the risk of getting cancer. Chocolate can help people lose weight. Vegetables contain many types of nutrition that don’t exist in other foods. Although some foods taste bitter, some food taste very sour, actually, people can benefit from eating diversity. Come on guys, eating diversity, it is good for our health.     

Citation

"Diversify Your Diet - Page 2." RealAge.com. Web. 31 May 2012.
<http://www.realage.com/food/how-to-eat-healthy-2>.

Salzberg, Steven. "Eat More Chocolate, Lose Weight!" Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 09 Apr.
2012. Web. 31 May 2012. <http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/04/09/eat-chocolate-for-better-health/>.

Craig, Winston John. "Nutrition Concerns and Health Effects of Vegetarian
Diets." University of Denver Penrose Library /Penrose/Music. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. Web. 17 May 2012. <http://0-ncp.sagepub.com.bianca.penlib.du.edu/content/25/6/613.full.pdf html>.

Dr. W. Gifford-Jones.  "Anti-cancer diet diverse :[Final Edition]. " The Windsor
Star  10  Aug. 2006,Canadian Newsstand Complete, ProQuest. Web.  31 May. 2012.




No comments:

Post a Comment