Sunday, April 22, 2012

Eating at the edge


After reading “Eating at the Edge”, which was written by Jamie Hortwiz, I think I better understand eating habit and eating customs in last decades years and in modern life.
At the begging, the author used a famous people’s says, Charles that is in the United States, it’s easier to eat chips and fast food than eating spaghetti. People can eat chips and fast food in cars or in bed, but they are not able to eat spaghetti in these places. (qtd, in Hortwiz, 42) It is totally different for people’s eating habit, compared with past decades and nowadays. In modern life, people prefer to eat in their free time and they also prefer to have food which is easy eat. People are more and more willing to eat in their leisure time. For example, students prefer to have hamburger or sandwich for lunch, although it is not a healthy eating habit, it can save our time for taking class. Also, some students are not able to have lunch in dinner halls. They have to have food while walking or in the break of class. Students are busy now, for me, I have classed from 9 to 2 every Monday and Wednesday. I don’t have for lunch, so I have to “squeeze” some time for me to have lunch. One of my class ends at 11:50, and one of my another class begins at 12. I decide to use this time to have lunch, so I always run back to dinner hall after the first and randomly pick up some food, and then I walk back to classroom while eating my “lunch”. Time is limited, so I have to use the time I have.  
So does in the article. The author mentioned three points which are “Eating in Timeless Time” (42), “Eating in one’s Own Space-Time in Micro-Gravity” (44) and “Eating in One’s Own Time-space” (45). 


No comments:

Post a Comment